This has made me think about the little things I can do to show my husband how much he means to me.
The first thing that comes to mind is to make sure I compliment him when I think he looks good. I’m so guilty of thinking he looks nice but not actually saying it!
Having searched the internet for inspiration, here’s my list of other little things that might really make a difference in how happy and content you both are day to day in your relationship:
- Pay attention to the things your partner does for you, and make sure you say thank you for it
- Give your partner genuine compliments
- Say nice things about them to other people
- Talk positively about them to your children
- Leave them the last chocolate
- Make them a cup of tea or coffee in the morning
- Bring them a cup of tea or breakfast in bed at the weekend
- Get up with the kids so they can have a lie in
- Do their least favourite job around the house for them
- Write them love notes (or love texts/emails)
- Run them a bath after work
- Take the kids out for a few hours so they can have some peace
- Send a text or call them for no reason other than to let them know you’re thinking of them
- Bring them little gifts
- Tell them you love them
- Bring them flowers
The research seems to show that all these little things done day to day add up to mean so much more than a grand gesture once a year. They’re constant reminders that we are loved and appreciated and that our partners think about us and care about our happiness.
If you want to really make sure that the little things you’re doing are making your partner feel loved then you can check what love language they speak and go out of your way to do things in the way that speaks their language.
I know that I really appreciate it when I get up in the morning to find that my husband has cleaned up the night before, and when he comes home from work with a bar of chocolate for me it can really make my day!
What little things matter most to you in a relationship?