If you’ve visited my blog before you might have read my other post about the photos we wish we’d taken. In it I mentioned that throughout March I’m planning on taking a photo every day with ME in it. And even though I really want to do this, there are still those nagging thoughts and excuses that pop in to my head telling me why I shouldn’t get in front of the camera.
But, those little voices are always silenced by one really important reason why I NEED to do this.
If you’re thinking about joining me and taking more photos of yourself, here are 8 reasons you might be coming up with for why shouldn’t have your photo taken followed by my one reason you really, really should.
8 reasons you shouldn’t have your photo taken:
1) You need to lose half a stone. Or a stone. Or just those last few pounds. Yeah, you’ll have your photo taken once you’ve lost that last bit of tummy jiggle.
2) Your hair is in dire need of a cut and colour. Seriously, no one wants a photo of you with greys sprouting up in your parting and split ends everywhere.
3) You don’t have the time to do it. You have far more important things to do with your time than bother setting things up to get in a photo.
4) You haven’t had a full night’s sleep in 3 years and you just. look. tired. Pale skin and dark circles under your eyes isn’t a look you really want to have on record.
5) You don’t photograph well. You just don’t. You pick apart every photo of yourself, wondering why the camera hates you.
6) No one wants a photo of you, in this moment, you’re not reaching any milestones worth capturing like your kids are. Every little thing your baby does is worthy of a photo, but you managing to drink a whole cup of coffee while it’s hot isn’t really a moment that’s worthy of being recorded.
7) You’re more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it. Now this I get. Life is pretty good from behind a camera. Who needs to come out from that place and step in front of it?
8) You just don’t like having your photo taken. End of. (Does anyone still say ‘end of”? No? Oh well!)
So there you are. 8 reasons (excuses) I’m sure we’ve all used at one point or another to not have our photo taken.
Reasons that feel perfectly valid to us and keep us safely out of the way of any cameras that might be pointed in our direction.
But, here’s why none of that matters and why you should really, really just get over yourself and in front of the camera.
Your children will want those photos of you.
They will want those photos of you regardless of how you look. They honestly do no care about the extra weight you’re carrying. They couldn’t care less about the greys in your hair and the bags under your eyes.
They won’t see those things.
They will just see YOU.
In years to come they will just be so grateful to have photos of you.
Sue Bryce said it best:
“One day your children will look for photographs of you. What will they have?”
Don’t let your insecurities about how you look and excuses about lack of time stop you from existing in photos.
I mean, by all means take a few minutes to do something with your hair, put on a top that you feel more comfortable in, get some bb cream on your face to brighten that pale complexion, but then GET IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA.
No more excuses.
This isn’t really about you. It’s about your children.
Make sure that when they look for photographs of you in the future they have plenty to find.